Misty Rain Scans
Welcome to our forum!
We hope you can enjoy your time here! Please read our rules if you want to download our releases. Please remember that you will have to read THIS and do exactly like it says. If you're already a member remember that you will have to Log In to see our projects and our releases!!

with love MRS' staff
Misty Rain Scans
Welcome to our forum!
We hope you can enjoy your time here! Please read our rules if you want to download our releases. Please remember that you will have to read THIS and do exactly like it says. If you're already a member remember that you will have to Log In to see our projects and our releases!!

with love MRS' staff
Misty Rain Scans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misty Rain Scans

Manga Scanlation Service

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Basic Typesetting Info

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Patti.

Patti.

Basic Typesetting Info Empty
PostSubject: Basic Typesetting Info   Basic Typesetting Info I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 11:43 am

I'm going to be slowly compiling a written tutorial for basic typesetting. This is the stuff I usually find myself repeating to new typesetter recruits, so I thought putting it here could save some time. Please keep in mind that all of these rules may not apply to webtoons. (Neko, do post info on that if you have the time.) Also, feel free to post any questions or suggestions you may have here.
This is a work in progress, so bear with me on that.

Here is a further explanation of the basic fonts we use and their size:
Wild words: Speech bubbles only. Keep your text consistent at around 12-14 px so that each page in the chapter looks cohesive. You can, however make the text larger if the raw also does so. You can also change the font to something different if the original does so. For example, in those cloud-like or screaming bubbles.

Felt: Narration and thought bubbles. Keep the size around 17-20 px. Same rules apply for making the text larger. So, basically use this for anything thought. Sometimes narration will be floating, in a box, or a circle of some sort. Just do your best to figure out what is considered narration. You can usually tell by the context or by looking at the raw.

Augie: Small spoken text (in or out of a bubble) and translator's notes. Keep text around 12-13 px. If it's much larger spoken text or some kind of misc text, you can change the font to something different. For translators notes, try to keep it near the translation being explained, but not on the art if possible. Find an available open space.

Concerning SFX: You may use any font you like, but try to match the original the best you can. This means using a black stroke on white text or vice versa. Also, if a SFX is jagged or rounded try to use a font that is similar. To avoid everything looking the same, use multiple fonts for different SFX. We have a [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] with some of the fonts that I use most frequently. Feel free to post any font suggestions you may have too.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Patti. on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Patti.

Patti.

Basic Typesetting Info Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic Typesetting Info   Basic Typesetting Info I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 11:43 am

reserved for FAQ
Back to top Go down

Basic Typesetting Info
Page 1 of 1